Associate General Counsel, Head of Technology Documentation Strategy
FIA seeks a mid-to-senior level attorney to assist with the broad range of legal needs of its technology subsidiary, FIA Technology Services, Inc. The position reports to General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer of the FIA. In coordination with FIA’s legal department, this position will coordinate corporate legal needs of the FIA Tech, assist with managing and updating of licensing and standard customer agreements governing the use of FIA Tech products and services, and work with industry lawyers where needed to help development and digitize documentation for automation using the FIA Tech Docs platform – the leading digital contract management and electronic signature service in the derivatives industry. Finally, this position will contribute perspectives from the FIA Tech legal work to the FIA’s global legal department’s wide range of member services for the cleared derivatives industry.
The position is supervised by and reports to the General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer of FIA.
The Associate General Counsel, Head of Technology Documentation Strategy performs the following responsibilities and any other responsibilities assigned to the individual by the General Counsel of FIA:
- Lead industry and FIA Tech customer efforts to further automate, digitize and modernize documentation for futures give-ups and similar documentation in other areas such as listed options, OTC clearing, repo or related relationship or transactional documentation
- Work with FIA Tech strategy and product leaders as well as industry groups to identify additional opportunities for the FIA Tech Docs service to streamline agreements and structured/unstructured data related to agreements.
- Update and draft standard product and service terms as needed and advise FIA Tech sales and customer service team on standard agreements
- Assist with outside counsel in drafting efforts related to special projects to support FIA Tech products and services
- Supervise and maintain the intellectual property licenses of FIA Tech, in coordination with FIA and outside counsel
- Monitor regulatory activities of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), U.S. Treasury, the Federal Reserve and other U.S. and international regulators for issues affecting the FIA Tech’s product offerings
- Produce documents and presentations on relevant topics for publication to FIA Tech’s customers and the industry
- In coordination with the General Counsel, serve as corporate legal counsel to the FIA Tech
- Conduct legal research and analysis for issues affecting the FIA Tech and its customers
- Participate in FIA Law and Compliance Division meetings and help with Law and Compliance division and other division projects as requested
- J.D. Degree and 3-5 year of experience working as a legal services provider in the financial services industry; would consider more senior candidates with appropriate qualifications and interest
- Experience with financial services standard agreements required; preference for working knowledge of agreements used in futures, including the give up agreement but familiarity with other asset classes also considered
- Knowledge of the market structure and operations of the derivatives industry, including experience with the FCM model, exchanges, clearinghouses, SDRs and SEFs
- Experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial and IT agreements including vendor contracts, licensing agreements, professional services, product development, content/data, and marketing agreements preferred
- Knowledge of the Commodity Exchange Act, CFTC regulations, and other global laws and regulations affecting the cleared derivatives industry helpful
- The strongest candidates will be natural team players with strong communication skills, both oral and written, work equally well with internal and external clients, pay strong attention to detail and organization, and be able to coordinate multiple ongoing projects with competing deadlines
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com